By now, everyone has hopefully gotten past the holiday madness and you are comfortably settling into the New Year. I’m not much on New Year’s resolutions but this year my goal is simple, draw more attention to Michigan as a destination for winter sports enthusiasts. The resorts have really stepped up to the challenge and are offering up more events and deals to attract visitors. This weekend kicks off a large number of events, some of which will continue throughout the season.
In keeping with my New Year’s
resolution goal… here’s a few things taking place across Northern Michigan that winter enthusiasts should get out and enjoy.
* Discover Snowsports Month – January has been certified by the state as ‘discover snowsports month’ encouraging individuals to get out and take part in winter activities. Many resorts across the state are taking part in this initiative and are offering discounted rates if not free lessons, rentals, etc.
The Homestead is offering 10% off private lessons for all ages Friday-Sunday.
Crystal Mountain has their Cross Country Winter Trails day offering Free lessons and 2 hour rentals for beginners from 1-7pm on Jan 9th.
Shanty Creek is also taking part in the Winter Trails Day and offering a beginner program for cross country and snowshoeing on Jan 9th.
* 5 for $50 Friday happens again this Friday Jan. 8th at Crystal Mountain. A great opportunity to snag 5 lift tickets for $50.
* Caberfae kicks off their weekend ski packages this weekend for only $199.
* Friday Night Rail Jam – Boyne’s ‘throw down showdown’ series starts this Friday Jan. 8th and continues throughout the season.
* Midwest NASTAR Open – This winter the road to the NASTAR finals goes through Crystal Mountain. This is a huge event for Michigan and Crystal Mountain as former U.S. Ski Team Member AJ Kitt attends the NASTAR open to pace set and challenge those looking to head to the National Championship in Winter Park, CO.
* Adaptive Snowsports Clinic – In collaboration with Northern Michigan Adaptive Sports and Munson Medical Center, the adaptive snowsports clinic takes place this weekend at Crystal Mountain. This is a great opportunity to volunteer, support your sport and engage with special needs individuals on the hill.
* Middle Earth Ski & Snowboard Comp – Boyne Mountain plays host to the first top on the Middle Earth Snow Series in Michigan. This weekend long competition is a mashup of slopestyle and pipe skills – if you think you have what it takes, you don’t want to miss this event.
* Huck Finn Great Lakes – Shanty Creek kicks off the Great Lakes series this Saturday with slopestyle clinics, competitions and the ‘impossible rail jam’
* Mountain Soul Fashion Show – Check out the latest in ski and snowboard wear from the team at Mountain Soul in Bellaire. The show takes place at 8pm inside Ivan’s at Shanty Creek’s Schuss Mountain.
If you know of any snowsports events taking place, please feel free to leave a comment with the details.