A dog made for Northern Michigan

This was Scout’s first winter in northern Michigan. To see my puppy’s joy this winter made me love northern Michigan even more. True to her Bernese Mountain nature, she thrived on diving into snow drifts and letting snow flakes decorate her fur. As soon as another fresh snowfall commenced, her nose was pressing against the glass window of our cabin with backwards glances at me and heavy sighs to hurry up and get out there.

We had so many adventures this season – snow shoeing, hiking and even just sitting on the deck watching the birds. Scout sits very quietly during the bird watching, unless it’s a cardinal. For some reason, she doesn’t like their chirping noise. One of my highlights this year was when I put a couple seeds on her fur and a chickadee swooped down to get it. She laid there so good and then wagged her tail after the chickadee scolded her for moving.

I can’t tell you how many people have said to me “I love northern Michigan, but not the winters.” Suffice it to say, I love winter in northern Michigan. There is so much to do, so many ways you can connect with nature and soothe your soul. And to see Scout’s wagging tail as she bounds through the snow like a shark in water, just cements that we were snow buddies made for each other, and made for northern Michigan.

Article Comments

Leave a Reply