New book: “Envisioning Better Communities”

I’m excited to read the new book, Envisioning Better Communities (PDF), by noted planner Randall Arendt. (Full disclosure: Randall Arendt is a dedicated member of LandChoices. I am a big fan.)

I have not received the book yet so I have not had a chance to read it, but want to share the following information I located on the Internet and in the PDF above:

Envisioning Better Communities is intended as both a thought-provoking read and a handy reference for use at meetings with applicants, helping staff and officials suggest better ways for new development to be sited, designed, landscaped, and integrated into the community fabric.

About the Book
Randall Arendt’s work has shaped a generation of planners, designers, and landscape architects. In Envisioning Better Communities: Seeing More Options, Making Wiser Choices, he brings his insights to a broader public, with a profusely illustrated demonstration of how local officials, planning commissioners, and everyday citizens can work to make their communities more attractive, more habitable, and more sustainable.

Bringing Together a Wide Array of Progressive Ideas
Conservation Design — to protect land as permanent greenbelts and greenways.
New Urbanism — to create walkable, mixed-use communities.
Form-Based Zoning – locating various building types appropriately according to scale and massing.
Low-Impact Development — to reduce the negative effects of new construction, particularly involving stormwater infiltration.

Learn More, View Book Cover
Learn more and view the book cover at Envisioning Better Communities (PDF).

I’ve read all of Randall’s excellent planning books and am looking forward to reading his newest. I’ll be posting more about it soon.

Article Comments

2 thoughts on “New book: “Envisioning Better Communities””

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx