Food for Thought Dishes Out a Fabulous Green Cuisine in the Forest Outside of Traverse City–Again!

Foodies of the world know that once a year you can head down a dirt road in the hinterlands of Northern Michigan and eat and drink your way into local foods Nirvana—for free. The event is the Green Cuisine and it is courtesy of Timothy and Kathleen Young and their organic jarred food company, Food for Thought. The event keeps growing and no wonder considering you can belly up and have your glass filled with the likes of Short’s and Right Brain beer or wine from any number of Leelanau and Old Mission wineries.

I began my nosh-journey through the white tents, set up under the lush, mid-summer canopy of beech trees in Food for Thought’s back forty, with fresh-grilled bruschetta topped with house made fresh mozzarella and ruby-red locally grown tomatoes courtesy of Trattoria Stella in Traverse City. I made room on the plate for a pork bruschetta served up by La Becasse Chef Guillaume Hazael-Massieux. Since I still had a hand free I offered my glass up at the Black Star Farms’ pouring table and watched it fill with a semi-dry riesling that proved a lovely accompaniment to the bruschetta.

Next stop: The Cooks’ House/Wellington Street Market tent for Basmati rice smothered in two Middle Eastern stews. One was red and exploded like a Yemen spice market in my mouth—balanced out by its nutty-flavored kale and chickpea twin. Another Riesling, this one from Shady Lane Cellars, amplified the tarab of flavors.

The evening ended with the rich, earthy tones of musicians May Erlewine and Seth Bernard. So nice.

Here’s a picture though it hardly does the event justice. Think I was too busy eating …

Article Comments

Leave a Reply