Coming This Summer in Traverse Northern Michigan’s Magazine: Number 9 Comes Home to Sleeping Bear Dunes

Last Friday morning, our Traverse photographer, Todd Zawistowski, and I headed to Glen Haven in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore to shoot a story I’m working on for the July 2013 issue of Traverse, Northern Michigan’s Magazine. My working title for the story is “Number 9 Comes Home.” This heart warmer will take readers back 50 years to when Louis and Marion Warnes’s dunes mobile rides were the highlight of a Sleeping Bear vacation—and their sleek fleet of 1948 Fords were head turners. Car Number 9, in particular, became a celebrity after being photographed for a postcard of the Sleeping Bear Dunes. But after the Warneses sold the fleet for newer models, the car was lost to history. Until … sorry, you’ll have to wait for the rest of the story in July for the mystery reveal. Okay, Hint: check out the photo of Number 9 being loaded into a Hagerty Insurance semi after the photo shoot. P.S. Thank you to Hagerty’s Jonathan Klinger for bringing Number 9—home—to Glen Haven for our photo shoot. What a beautiful morning it was!

Here’s Todd Zawistowski shooting Number 9:

She’s a beauty even in my IPhone 3 photo. Wait until you see the pinup shots Todd came away with.

Jonathan driving Number 9 to pose in front of its old Glen Haven garage:

Number 9 travels in style!

So long Number 9—until our Traverse readers meet you again in July!

Article Comments

One thought on “Coming This Summer in Traverse Northern Michigan’s Magazine: Number 9 Comes Home to Sleeping Bear Dunes”

1. Can’t wait to read the article!  Glen Haven is one of my favorite places to visit when I’m in the area.  I remember going up north with my parents and waiting outside the General Store after buying our tickets for the Dunes ride.  It was a thrilling ride.    Thanks in a advance to Joanathan Kllinger for his part in your story.  

Leave a Reply