Ten reasons why you shouldn’t miss the 2013 Northern Home & Cottage Tour on Saturday, September 7.
1. Windows so large that the glass had to be shipped over from Europe—they don’t make glass panels this large in the U.S.
2. A blue-and-white granite that I’ve never seen before and that looks like the sky.
3. A wet bar faced in corrugated metal.
4. The home that Dr. Munson (as in Traverse City’s Munson Medical Center) lived in at the turn of the last century.
5. An octagonal sun room.
6. The first-ever residential hydroelectric system in the country.
7. A Victorian so authentically renovated you might find she wears bloomers.
8. A historic Building 50 Unit at the Grand Traverse Commons that once housed the cafeteria for the Traverse City State hospital. Linoleum? Try terrazo tile.
9. A craft room of a crafters room.
What it feels like to live steps from downtown Glen Arbor but hidden away in trees.
10. A bedroom outfitted for an aging parent.