Five Things to Love About Film Fest Movies at the State

Traverse City Film Festival: 2013 marks the ninth year for the Traverse City Film Festival. This year is no different with an irresistible line-up of indies, documentaries, and Hollywood classics brought right to TC. 

1. The drive to the State

It doesn’t matter where you’re driving from, but most likely the unbelievably blue Grand Traverse Bay will be part of the view. I drove in from Leland for my Film Fest movie this week, and the rolling farmland mixed with that Northern Michigan water makes me smile every time. 

2. Simply sensational films

From foreign documentaries to those Hollywood classics, the Film Fest never fails with its movie selection. I saw Kon-Tiki, a Norwegian-made hit based off the real-life 100 day, 5,000 mile voyage across the Pacific Ocean by Thor Heyerdahl on a balsa wood raft in the 1940’s. The cinematography is spectacular (lightning storms, shark attacks, man vs. nature), but the storyline is also heartwarming and inspirational.

3. The State’s history and ambience

The world-famous theatre, refurbished five years ago, is both luxurious and inviting, complete with red velvety seats, a dazzling star-lit ceiling (designed to look exactly like the constellation above Traverse City in August), and, of course, the familiar smells of fresh popcorn. For the Film Fest, moviegoers can expect to hear a live musician perform before the movie begins and perhaps see Michael Moore nonchalantly give some opening words.

4. Grand Traverse Pie Company (or other unique downtown dining options) post movie:

Indulge in a slice of fresh cherry pie after a Film Fest matinee. The sweet smells coming from just a few doors down at Grand Traverse Pie are hard to resist. It’s always fun to hear fellow moviegoers discuss the film as you relax with a slice of fruity, crusty goodness. If you haven’t spoiled dinner, try one of Traverse City’s hottest restaurants, like trendy Red Ginger or the inventive food trucks, known as the Little Fleet, only a few blocks east. (The Little Fleet is open till 2am for the Film Fest and offering special events each night of the week.)

5. Window shopping on Front 

Don’t just come for the movie! From Brilliant Books (be sure to flip through some of their suggestions) to Haystacks for tempting summer skirts- window shopping Traverse City’s boutiques is a must.

Article Comments

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx