Three Summer Snacks That Take Advantage of Northern Michigan’s Produce

Summer= “so much time you have no idea what to do with it” or “how to not eat a million cookies a day.” Summer is here and along with it comes snacking. Here are some easy dishes and snacks to help you stay healthy this summer!

IMG_7598

Use whatever fruit is available for a fancy garnish.

Lemon Punch

This lemon punch is a nice sweet thing to help you wake up, or just to spice up your day!
Makes 4 cups.

Ingredients

• 1 lemon
  • 1 lime
  • 3 tbs grenadine
  • 4 cups worth of instant lemonade mix
  • 4 cups water

Directions:

First make your instant lemonade – this may be different for different instant lemonade – I use Smuckers instant lemonade. After you have made the instant lemonade, cut up your lemon and lime. Children please be careful! Adult supervision is highly recommended for children who do not know how to use a knife or are not that skilled with one.

Put your lemon slices in the instant lemonade and squeeze the juice out of what was too hard to cut. Next take your grenadine and stir throughly. To give a little local fun, slice up whatever fresh fruit is available from the farmer’s market and pierce it on a shish-kabob skewer or a toothpick for a fancy garnish. Ta-da! Your masterpiece is finished! Enjoy!

Fruit Parfait

Fruit parfaits are great for breakfast and are easy to take on the go! They provide nutrients and lots of energy and protein to start the day. And not to mention that they are delicious!

Makes however much you put in of each ingredient.

Ingredients

• Vanilla yogurt
  • Strawberries
  • Blueberries
  • Granola

Directions

Take either your strawberries or blueberries and place at the bottom of your dish. Then pour some yogurt on top of the berries. Next add the fruit you did not use on the bottom and place that on the top of the layer of yogurt. Then pour more yogurt on top of that and to top it all off add some granola! For portability I like to use Ball/mason jars and that way I can just pop on the lid and go! But when I’m not in a rush I like to make these in bowls too.

Put your yogurt parfait into a Ball jar or a mason jar and it becomes portable!

Put your yogurt parfait into a Ball jar or a mason jar and it becomes portable!

Brie Sandwich 

These are great for lunch, I eat them all the time. They taste refreshing! This one can be a little bit pricey, but it’s totally worth it.

Ingredients

• Brie cheese
  • Basil leaves
  • Tomatoes
  • Baguette

Directions:

Take your baguette and slice it in half, widthways and lengthways. Set that aside and cut up your brie and slice your tomato(es). Place the brie on the base bread, stack your tomato(es) on top and add your basil on top of that. Add as much pepper or salt as you wish and finish it off with the top baguette piece. And you’re finished! This sandwich is really easy and tasty, Enjoy!

Personally, I eat fresh food during the summer, and I like to experiment with new foods, and other things. If you eat the same thing everyday you might want to change it up a bit with some tasty snacks! I think everyone loves food and summer is a great way to find new favorite dishes! Keep eating!

By: Fuzznut101

Article Comments

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx