Haunted Northern Michigan

Home Page Forums Uncategorized Haunted Northern Michigan

This topic contains 29 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Thompson Michael Thompson 3 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Kelly Nogoski
    Kelly Nogoski
    Participant

My fiancĂ© and I have been watching a lot of ghost hunting shows lately. With Halloween fast approaching, I thought I’d start a discussion about the many rumored haunted places up North. In my mind, Bower’s Harbor Inn and the Old Town Playhouse are two of the most notorious. Do you know of any haunted places? Any stories/eerie tales/weird happenings you’d like to share?

Profile photo of Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    Keymaster

I’ve heard some pretty scary things about the state hospital; not to mention the fact that the parts of it that have not been renovated give off the creepiest vibe at night I’ve ever felt.

The original name for the set of buildings was the “Northern Michigan Asylum for the Insane” followed by “Traverse City Regional Psychiatric Hospital” and now simply “Grand Traverse Commons” or “The Village”.

Set a date to go there late, late at night on a weekday so there aren’t a bunch of herb-smokin’ kids hanging around and so that you’re much more alone. Visit this page and skim a bit, then set off on your journey.

On your way through/around the state hospital, notice how aware you are of the similarities between everything you’ve done up to that point and the actions of victims in most thriller/slasher films. Pay close attention to how quiet it is. Focus on the shadows dancing through the buildings as you walk past.

Don’t turn around.

Kelly Nogoski
    Participant

Nice!

Profile photo of Deb Fellows
    Deb Fellows
    Keymaster

Emily Tyra is related to a ghost. He’s said to roam around the Grand Traverse Lighthouse at the tip of Leelanau County. She writes about sleeping in the lighthouse and waiting to hear from in in this essay: http://www.mynorth.com/My-North/September-2008/Ghost-at-the-Light.

We used to take sleeping bags to the beach in front of the lighthouse and, while I never heard or saw the ghost of her great-great-great grandfather, that looming white lighthouse in a crescent moon always seemed spooky enough. The waves, the wind, the point jutting into the big Lake spoke more of the ghosts of sailors than of lighthouse keepers.

Deb Fellows
    Keymaster

My grandmother sold uniforms to the staff at the Northern Michigan Asylum for the Insane. She drove a horse and buggy and spoke of getting there at dusk one time and having people screaming out to her from the barred windows. She quit the next day. When we were little that was such a scary story. I’ve since learned that while many patients had perfectly legitimate reasons for being there, some of the patients in the hospital were there for questionable reasons. Since all the patients only saw a psychiatrist every six months for a few minutes, if you were having a bad day, voila, your stay was extended. If you were distraught from having been locked away or angry, voila! Some of the people screaming to my grandmother were begging her to get them out. I’ve always wondered if some of them who were pleading with her were there for the wrong reasons. If so, they would surely be the ghosts who would return to haunt the halls.

Profile photo of dianekolak
    Diane Kolak
    Participant

House of Ludington in Escanaba has many reports of ghosts. It’s an old hotel and restaurant near the harbor. In 2005 my brother and I hosted an anniversary party for my parents there. It was the middle of March, in a snowstorm, so there were no other customers there. Near the end of the night their bar became like a living room with all of us just hanging around talking with the staff and owners, and they told us about all their eerie experiences. A lot of unexplained moving of objects, like double-hung windows opening and closing, carts full of food wheeling themselves around, dishes crashing to the floor for no reason, the elevator moving with no one in it, and lots of footsteps down the hall. They even let us into “the room” where most guest reports had originated. True or not, it made for a really cool party!

Profile photo of Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    Keymaster

For a great video tour — both inside and out — of the State Hospital check this YouTube video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMorbzHMabo

Profile photo of kristinariggle
    Kristina Riggle
    Participant

Have you seen this book? I’m writing a story about it for the Grand Rapids Press.

Haunted Travels of Michigan

Kelly Nogoski
    Participant

I haven’t, Kristina, but thanks for the hot tip! I thoroughly enjoyed “Haunted Michigan,” which features a lot of places anyone can visit (restaurants, inns, etc.) in the state, but haven’t heard of this one. I’ll definitely check it out. :)

Profile photo of dottiesundling
    Dottie Sundling
    Participant

Sure, there’s the House of Ludington in Escanaba, Seul Choix Lighthouse at Seul Choix Point, and we can’t forget the old hotel in Nahma, in the Upper Peninsula. They say a spinster who taught at the Nahma High School and lived in the hotel, roams the upper floor at night. Her lover left her and she’s looking for him! She leaves imprints on the bed and her footsteps resound in the hallway. Once in a while she’ll come down the back stairs and go out the back door!

Yikes! We stayed at the House of Ludington a few years ago. Glad we didn’t know about the ghosts then. Nobody bothered us. It was a wonderful overnight, and a place we’ve talked often of visiting again. Maybe we’ll re-think it!

Profile photo of nicolebray
    Nicole Bray
    Participant

I am currently writing a book called “Michigan’s Haunted Nightlife.” It will feature haunted bars, pubs, restaurants, and theaters throughout the state of Michigan. All locations in the book will be public places where anyone can visit. The book is due for release in Fall of 2009 (right before Halloween)

I would love to hear about more locations, especially from the Northern part of the L.P. and from the U.P.

You can either leave me a message on here or email me privately at: [email protected]

Kelly…where is the Old Town Playhouse? I do not have that location for the book yet! What have you heard about it?

Kelly Nogoski
    Participant

Hi Nicole-

The Old Town Playhouse is in Traverse City, on the corner of Eighth and Cass Streets. It’s a renovated church that now houses our community theater. I’ve heard stories of a man in Elizabethan garb performing what appeared to be a monologue seen by playhouse performers. Also, strange lights have been seen in the backstage hallways. Granted, I heard all these stories years ago (in my singing high school days), so I don’t know if things have been seen or rumors are circulating about the supernatural happenings there lately, but it’s worth inquiring about! :)

Does anyone else have a haunted restaurant, bar or nightlife venue to share with Nicole?

Profile photo of jamie
    Jamie
    Participant

Hello, I am very interested in finding past employees and or patients of the northern Mi. asylum.
    I had two relatives who died there long ago, approx. 3 years ago I started my search for medical records for them.
    With the help of Heidi Johnson, I found a few things relating to their diagnoses etc. I was also able to
    locate some info. in Lansing at the archives. However I find this asylum very interesting and want to
    start a website dedicated to past employees, patients, family members of both. If anyone can help me
    with info. please contact me. [email protected] thanks

Profile photo of kathleentedsen
    Kathleen Tedsen
    Participant

This is Kat Tedsen, author of “Haunted Travels of Michigan”. We had some rather surprising experiences in our first series of investigations associated with the Haunted Travels book. Working on our second book in the Haunted Travels series, we’ll be traveling to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula for a week-long series of investigations. After that, we’re back in the northern part of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula. If anyone has any questions on haunted locations in MI, they can email us directly. Also, if anyone has recommendations on haunted locations anywhere in the state, we are interested in hearing about them. We focus on public locations (hotels, B&B’s, historic sites, restaurants, etc.) Our Email is: [email protected]
    Kat Tedsen

Profile photo of bob1
    bob
    Participant

well i am part of a new paranormal research team. we call ourselves the UPST. or the upper peninsula spook team. we have spent the night in the seul choix lighthouse this winter and are planning on the ludington house in esky, we go to many cemetaries, areas around germfask like the jolly inn and private locations. we are a family of ghost hunters. we are doing research on haunted places in the up so if anybody has any information to give us on any haunted places that you think we would enjoy please reply to this or visit our myspace page. just go to http://www.myspace.com and search for “the UPST”

Any tales of hauntings at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island?

Profile photo of oliviasmith
    olivia smith
    Participant

there is a few more in escanaba has far has business are concern like the delft bar on ludgtion and the bonfios art center hopefully you can check those places out as well .

Kathleen Tedsen
    Participant

Yes, Karen. There are many rumors of the Grand Hotel being haunted. They are, however, resistant to a formal investigation there so, as it stands, the rumors are just that … rumors. It seems when the original foundations of the hotel were laid, unexpected skeletons were discovered. It is suspected it served as a cemetery as some point. Apparitions have been seen down hallways and disembodied voices heard. We’d love to get in there. If you have a connection, we’ll arrange the investigation for our next book in the Haunted Travels series.
    Kat Tedsen

Profile photo of charleymacintosh
    Charley MacIntosh
    Participant

We own the Nahma Inn, many stories and situations here. Welcome to visit and hear some great stories. Cozy pub and B&B.

Profile photo of katsca
    Katsca
    Participant

How do I apply to help become a worker. I am one who is very perceptive.

Kathleen Tedsen
    Participant
    Profile photo of edlpicaolcom
    lou
    Participant

(what about the children? )

Profile photo of edlpicaolcom
    lou
    Participant

hello, im sorry to hear of your relatives passing away there. im not sure if i can help, but i was a patient there 30 years ago for 2 years.

Profile photo of tracyward
    Tracy Ward
    Participant

There’s a current book out about haunted Mackinac Island

Tracy Ward
    Participant
    Deb Fellows
    Keymaster

The wind is howling so loudly tonight, it sounds like the whole natural world is haunted. Some great scary stuff happening this weekend. Check out these Friday Five for Halloween weekend: music, events, etc. And here are all the Halloween trick-or-treating times for Northern Michigan.

Tracy Ward
    Participant

Definitely worth reading. There’s also some haunted places in downtown Petoskey.

Deb Fellows
    Keymaster

Can you share some of the haunted spots in Petoskey? Did you guys know there is a paranormal organization in Traverse City? Called, interestingly enough, Traverse City’s Paranormal Investigators. http://www.traversecityparanormal.com/ Came across them when I was writing a short Halloween piece on the Legend of the Dogman Halloween party at Ground Zero in Traverse City. http://community.mynorth.com/events/legend-of-michigans-dogman

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx