Alternative Energy Could Mean Bright Future for Michigan, Say Experts at Crystal Mountain Conference

More thoughts from the Michigan’s Future: Energy, Economy and Environment conference held at Crystal Mountain, near Traverse City, November 14–16.

For many years now, environmental experts and traditional business leaders have argued back and forth over a fundamental point of economics. Environmentalists on the one hand assert that making environmental progress is not a drag on the economy, but quite the opposite, it stimulates new businesses and improves the value of places better off because they are cleaner.

Business has typically countered that environmental costs raise operating expenses and make it nearly impossible to compete, especially with overseas companies that can pollute all they want.

I admit that I am partial to the argument put forth by the environmentalists. It may be too simplistic, but I’ve often thought Just look at our neighborhoods. Does anybody think that homes in a dirty neighborhood tainted with industrial fallout are somehow worth more than homes in a clean neighborhood? Or look at the auto industry today. Is there anybody still out there who believes that the car companies made a good business decision by not responding to the realities of our environmental limitations?

One encouraging message I heard at the Crystal Mountain conference is that in some areas at least, the business community is starting to see that smart environmental decisions equate to smart business decisions.

Sarna Salzman, executive director of SEEDS, sounded this message in her address to the opening session on Friday evening. Her company is living proof that smart environmental investment is profitable. SEEDS is a non-profit company that works with both private and government organizations to analyze systems and energy use and come up with more cost-effective and environmentally wise options. It is a myth, she said, that we can only have a clean environment at the expense of business. “Environmental entrepreneurs are the future,” she said.

I was of course encouraged to hear this in the opening session, but concede that one would expect Salzman to send this message, since it is, after all, the heart of her business. So in many ways I was even more heartened when I heard this message echoed the next morning by Jack Hanson, vice president of generation engineering and service for CMS Energy.

Michigan, Hanson said, has the second oldest fleet of power plants in the nation. The glass-half-full view of that situation is that opportunity awaits. As Michigan powers up for the 21st century, alternative energy can find a ready market. CMS has already secured wind leases on 28,000 acres. And wind means not just clean power for the state, but also good manufacturing jobs. A windmill has 8,000 working parts, “and if there’s one thing Michigan is good at it’s making parts,” Hansen said.

The state is also home to two of the nation’s leading solar panel manufacturers. “And Michigan-based Whirlpool is a leader in smart appliance development,” Hansen said.

Of course, only time will tell whether or not Michigan’s business leaders truly believe changes smart for the environment are also smart for their bottom line, but I feel we will see actions that stay true to the rhetoric. The evidence we are now seeing in terms of global warming and peak oil is very compelling, and the smart investors will be working on finding solutions, not hiring lawyers and lobbyists to ensure that denial of reality is a formalized government policy.–Jeff Smith, Editor

Article Comments

2 thoughts on “Alternative Energy Could Mean Bright Future for Michigan, Say Experts at Crystal Mountain Conference”

1. Mr. Smith, thank you for these articles on the Crystal Mountain Conference. If there is an echoing refrain in these current debates, perhaps it is the echo of our own voices if we only seek sources which may support one side of what is thought of as a two-sided debate. You write of this struggle (suits talking with suits/ Birkenstocks talking with Birkenstocks). One issue is our current mind-set, that most things these days we have come to believe are “either/or” decisions: one must either choose business/ growth, or one must choose the environment. I hope these conferences and subsequent articles coming out of them (keep them coming) help to provide information that challenges each of us to rethink what has become an either/or founded debate – and move to discuss these matters for all of their complexity in a more holisitic approach – like I recognized that on the national scene, we use the word ‘environmental’, but in northern Michigan, I hear the word ‘conservation’ just as much- from which I infer the recognition that growth and business is necessary (obviously), but let’s be smart about it – again this holistic approach. I hope these efforts evolve the mantra “smart environmental decisions equate to smart business decisions” into a quality of life discussion, about creating jobs, good jobs, Michigan jobs, that create sustainable energies that supports and secures quality of life for future generations. Regards, Darren King

2. Jeff made an excellent point in his earlier post about the Michigan Future conference. We should have introduced a rule that the suits spend time listening to and learning from the Birkenstocks and vice versa. I did, however, notice at least a few sidebar conversations between these two groups. Today, for example, I received a call from one of the suits saying how great it was to discuss the topic of local food with one of the berkinstock presenters. How about that!

I would have the Birkenstocks learning about Concentrating Solar Thermal Power (CSP) combined with High Voltage DC transmission as a partial “techno-solution” to our eventual fossil fuel depletion. http://anz.theoildrum.com/node/3791 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Intertie

And, the suits learning the perspectives of Rob Hopkins “Transition Towns” http://transitionculture.org/shop/the-transition-handbook/ and Albert Bates discussion on Alternatives to an Energy Intensive Food System.

Who knows maybe if we keep discussing these things even more people will get involved and work together to create some balanced solutions to the energy and environmental challenges facing our communities.

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx