inauguration/ what a day to be alive

What a day to be alive,
Friday, January 23, 2009
1:01 PM

Never could I imagine being part of such an historic event. The atmosphere was electric and although the crowds were something I had never experienced before, there was a calm and peaceful feeling to them. Although the crowd was calm it was filled with excitement, people wanting to help each other get through the cold and damp day. Everyone waiting to see our next president be sworn into office.

The most exciting part of this for me was the blanket of people. Just being one of them was enough to bring tears to my eyes. There was nothing extraordinary about where we were positioned. We, (my husband and I ) were among the masses near the Washington Monument, miles from the inauguration. We had two seated tickets which we gave to our sons so that they could witness it for their children, and tell them the marvel of history, the first African American Man to be elected president, a man devoted to truth and justice. We chose to be among the people.

The folks that showed up were amazing; Black, White, Hispanic , Indian, Asian, Jew, Christian, Moslem, Hindu, and Atheist, from every walk of life. It was a true cross section of our nation. We all came together in the spirit of brotherhood, hoping for a better world. The thousands of American flags waving in the wind told the story.

Obama’s message came through. It was “One America” The wonderful part of it all was that everyone there could feel it. The optimism and goodwill vibrated through the air. There was no fear of terrorism. I did not go through a security check to get into the mall. It was America at its best!!

I will never forget this experience. Perhaps it will be the beginning of a better life for our citizens. I am lucky to have been a part of history.

Flora Newblatt
Glen Arbor, Mi

Article Comments

4 thoughts on “inauguration/ what a day to be alive”

1. We booked a hotel in August with high hopes…but the thought of wrangling three kids (at ages 9, 4, and 11 months)in a sea of people finally made us cancel and opt to watch from home…I think for us, the important thing was for our kids to witness the work I did door knocking and phone banking…I want them to know first hand what it means to believe in something as much as we believe in President Obama’s message. But oh, what a wonderful time you must have had…and what fantastic memories!

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx