Whine Blog Issue IV – Movies and Wine!

So I have been a little perplexed lately trying to figure out what to write about this time around. I got the first two issues out just fine it was almost like I had been waiting to let those things off of my shoulders. The third post was my little venture into education which I thought was okay but just not as fun as “whining” about things like customers, employees or even bosses!
So I started brainstorming about things that I love like movies, books or magazines and how to attach them to wine and I thought I would find some of my favorite movies and see how they involved wine!

French Kiss Starring Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline
If you don’t know the story Ryan plays quirky repressed Kate who ends up stranded in Paris, France after chasing her ex-fiance their. Kline is charming but smarmy has he sneaks a grapevine into Ryan’s backpack which then gives us the story of him and her teaming up for romantic notes and high jinks. At one point in the movie they end up at Kline’s family vineyard and the following scene happens.

Ryan – ” A bold wine with a hint of sophistication and lacking in pretension” She pauses for bit ” Actually I was just talking about myself”

Kline – “You are not wrong. Wine is like people. The wine takes all the influence in life all around it, it absorbs it and then it get’s its personality.”

Of course a predictable but happy ending!

Gigi 1958
Gigi a young girl of fifteen is being groomed by her Aunt and Grandmother to be a courtesan. Among the many things they teach her one is how to drink wine.

“You have to fully enjoy the aroma,” her haughty Aunt says “On your first sip, hold it on the roof of your mouth for a moment and and breath through your nose. Then you will feel the flavor… A bad year will be sharp. A good year, which this is of course, will waft.”

The Muppet Movie 1979
Miss Piggy and Kermit are out on a romantic evening when Kermit decides to order a bottle of bubbly which turns out is a sparkling Muscatel from Idaho. Steve Martin in a great cameo as the waiter opens the bubbly with a beer opener, then as Kermit begins to sip Miss Piggy reminds him that the expert should taste first. So Steve Martin takes a sip, spits it out fast and grimaces he composes his face and says with an awkward smile “An excellent choice”

Dracula 1931
Dracula says to his friend “This is very old wine. I hope you like it.” His friend replies “Aren’t you drinking?” Dracula says “I never drink… wine.”

A few of my favorite wine quotes too…

“One of the disadvantages of wine is that it makes a man mistake words for thoughts.” Samuel Johnson

“Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance.” Ben Franklin

Thank you if you have any movies you can think of just let me know!

Article Comments

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx