New Favorite Recipe–Asparagus Frittata with Tots Crust

Wow! The recipe for Asparagus Frittata with Tater Tots Crust is becoming an instant fave among Traverse readers. I just got off the phone with Dorothy in Indian River. She called with a question about her subscription, but our conversation soon turned to the frittata recipe in the April issue of Traverse Magazine. She wanted us to know just how good it is.

Dorothy first tried the frittata at a friend’s house a few weeks ago. When her friend revealed the source of the recipe–the April issue of Traverse–Dorothy flagged it in her magazine when she got home. Then last week Dorothy’s daughter downstate phoned her mom to ask if she had the April magazine because she wanted the frittata recipe, too. Dorothy read it to her over the phone (Thankfully there are only five ingredients, and the instructions are very simple.). Her daughter embellished the original recipe with sauteed mushrooms–always a good idea.

Dorothy couldn’t say enough about it and neither can our food editor, Emily Tyra. It’s delicious, quick and easy to make, and a real crowd pleaser. Sounds like a winner to me. I’m going to make it for my next book club meeting. But I’ll throw in a big dollop of caramelized onions.

Here’s the link.

Bon Appetit!
Jodi Simpson

Article Comments

3 thoughts on “New Favorite Recipe–Asparagus Frittata with Tots Crust”

1. Who would have thought that tots would start such a sensation! A woman in the lobby at my exercise class said her friend made it for a brunch over the weekend (she added chicken). It was all she could do not to tear the recipe out of the lobby copy of Traverse so she could make it that night..

My friend Betsy who created the recipe is a designer at Ann Arbor’s good eats emporium, Zingerman’s, (currently working on Ari Weinzweig’s new book to come out this spring; the working title is Zingerman’s Guide to Better Bacon; Stories of Pork Bellies, Hush Puppies, Rock ‘N Roll Music And Bacon Fat Mayonnaise). She uses Cascadian Farm (Organic) Spud Puppies and some good cheddar from Zingerman’s creamery.
    I tried it with good old Ore-Ida onion tots, just plain good.

2. You know, Emily, it reminds me of another favorite recipe from the Traverse Magazine archive–Cheeseburger Soup. I will admit I turned my nose up at that recipe for a long time despite the many callers who requested it from us. It just didn’t sound good to me. Then a few years ago at Theresa Baehr’s annual soup party I practically inhaled a bowl of it. Was I ever surprised (and humbled) to learn it was the fabled Cheeseburger Soup. Since then I’ve made it many times, always to rave reviews. Talk about comfort food! Here’s the recipe.

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx