One week and the rivers are yours.

One week left until trout season opener. This is a great time of the year to head north and enjoy everything northern Michigan has to offer. The birds are singing and the fish are rising. This time of the year is my favorite. Standing in a cool stream to challenge nature at it’s own game is exhilarating! If you don’t fly-fish yet, take the time and learn from some of the best around. We offer classes in the Detroit area and have a great gentleman, Dave Leonhard, in Traverse City who can teach you the the ways of the long rodder. Kids and adults alike will enjoy the sport and the company you fish with for a lifetime.
Next week I’ll fish two days on the upper Manistee with Orvis guide Chuck Hawkins of Hawkins’ Outfitters. Rain or shine it is always a great time.
Happy fishing!
Rich

Article Comments

4 thoughts on “One week and the rivers are yours.”

1. Rich, when I leave the office in the evenings, I cross the Boardman footbridge. In these last few days, I’ve seen a couple fisherman along the shores. And so I expect I’ll now see some trout fishermen along the banks. I’ll keep you posted on what the buzz from the banks is …

2. The weather didn’t cooperate, the weatherman lied but we still caught fish. I’ll try to upload a great pic I have of my guide and his dog witha nice fish.
    I’ll be back this weekend to teach a class and hold a contest. I’m also staying Mon & Tues to fish below Mio dam. I’m just trying to find someone that wants to fish with me. Everyone else has to work. Give a free guided trip and you can’t find anyone…bummer. I’ll see if maybe one of the folks at work can get a day or two off…again.

3. Just had four great days on the water. Two days with students on the Manistee, (with some fishing time for myself) and two on the Au Sable. The bug hatches are going well and lots of fish were caught. I took my store manager, Blair, below Mio Dam to familiarize him with the water there. We caught a lot of fish, enjoyed the weather and laughed the whole boat ride. What a great time. Get out there if you can, don’t miss out on this great gift of the outdoors we have been given.

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx