WHAT I WAS GOING TO BLOG ABOUT

WHAT I WAS GOING TO BLOG ABOUT

With the crocuses in the driveway already croaked and the daffodils just starting to blaze. I thought it would be a good time to describe a little known yet magical season that usually occurs around this time of year in the waters of Little Traverse Bay. Generally speaking, when blue streaks begin cutting diagonally across the ice and the edges of the ice show signs of letting go we look forward to the season of the little icebergs. The winds agitate the open water, cracking the ice sheets into each other and causing good- sized blocks of white ice to flow into the opening waters of the bay. It is like the sea-lanes of the north Atlantic in spring, stunning, beautiful but in miniature.

The little iceberg season has always been one of my favorite times to walk along the Little Traverse Wheelway, the best place to view this unusual phenomenon. It’s after the mud season and before the tourist season and most of Petoskey’s population seems to be on spring break and misses the show. But truly, it’s one of nature’s finest.

That’s what I was going to blog about.

But I couldn’t though. Last Tuesday when the weather was fine and the conditions seemed just right a sturdy wind blew in from the east and swept everything out into the open lake. No ice fragments remaining on the shores, no little icebergs in the bay, no magical season this year.

Article Comments

One thought on “WHAT I WAS GOING TO BLOG ABOUT”

1. Hey Tom,
    The thought was there. Your description of iceberg season brought back childhood memories of growing up on Houghton Lake, the ice melted differently every season. Sometimes it was passive and crystalized, the sound was amazing as the wind carried it away. Then other seasons it was incredibly powerful and moved houses off of their foundations, and carved trenches in the beaches waist high.
    Now I enjoy walking along the Sleeping Bear Dunes Lakeshore which changes daily. I have seen ice volcanoes, and formations that look like they come from another planet, mother nature never ceases to amaze!
    Thanks for your thoughts!

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx