Who Shrugged?

“In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst.

In the name of the values that keep you alive, do not let your vision of man be distorted by the ugly, the cowardly, the mindless in those who have never achieved his title.

Do not lose your knowledge that man’s proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads.

Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all.

Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach.

Check your road and the nature of your battle.

The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it’s yours.”

Quote from John Galt’s final rant ~ Atlas Shrugged ~ authored by Ayn Rand.

Thirty (30) years ago, in 1979, I read this book and promptly quit my cushy, entertaining 30-Something-ish, high-paid Federal Government job.

I had guts then.

A year later, in 1980, I began my long serpentine journey with State Government.

Today, a fat paperback copy of Atlas Shrugged sits on my desk ~ staring me down each day.

It’s a subtle reminder that I do have choices.

Until tomorrow ~ God willing,

Woodswoman

Article Comments

4 thoughts on “Who Shrugged?”

1. Thanks Darren ~ the pics were taken on my way home to Mancelona from Gaylord on C-38 last night. Beautiful rainy fall day. Rachel ~ Yes…Taggart Transcontinental railroad. You obviously have been on the Rand train. After posting this, I found myself cracking the book open today. Time to revisit Mr. Galt ~ 30 years later. I’m anxious to see what changes it brings about.

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx