Farmer & garden to table breakfasts

zucchini1st strawberries

Farmer markets & garden to table breakfasts….what a great way to wake up and start your Applesauce Inn B&B getaway adventure!  I love to cook…..and I love a good challenge!  I enjoy creating breakfast dishes that utilize what are “fresh now” ingredients….and no better place to find them but at one of our many local farmers markets!  Our veggie garden out back takes a bit longer to produce, so the markets are a great way to find fresh goodies!  Two of my favorite ingredients this time of year…..zucchini & just picked, warmed in the sun, strawberries!!!  Flynn Orchards at the Mancelona Farmers Market is where I got the gorgeous strawberries and zucchini!  Both will be featured in the breakfasts for the upcoming weekend guests.  Zucchini fritters with fresh feta cheese & a lemon wedge will pair well with one of my savory egg dishes….and the strawberries….they will explode in my home made fresh out of the oven scones!  Below is my scone recipe (It is a favorite…..and can be used with any fruit)

Applesauce Inn B&B Scone Recipe:

2 c flour
1/3 c + 2 tsp sugar (I use raw sugar)
2 1/4 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp lemon zest
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c butter, cubed
1 c heavy cream
1/2 c chopped fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or blueberries)
1 egg lightly beaten

Heat oven to 425

Mix dry ingredients, cut in butter.  Mix wet ingredients (save fruit till the end) and add to dry ingredients.  Knead about 5 times or so (not too much or you will end up with bricks), then knead in fruit until just mixed.  Turn out onto a floured surface and create an 8″ circle, brush with egg and cut into 8 slices.  Bake about 12-15 minutes or until brown.  These freeze very well after baking.

Article Comments

Leave a Reply

People Who Like Thisx